About the Staff Writer position
The staff writer at SCS Creative works closely with the team to produce written content on both a short-term and long-term basis. Topics vary from client to client and may include finance, real estate, consumer products, and professional services, among many others.
Staff Writer responsibilities
- Produce original, well-researched, and clean copy for SCS Creative clients
- Work closely with Head Writer and Founder on assignment schedule, writing, and editing
- Sit in on interviews and client meetings as needed
The part-time Staff Writer is a contract, 1099 position. Starting pay is $20/hour, with a minimum of 15 hours per week. Hours will increase as agency needs grow.
Who is the ideal candidate?
The ideal candidate for the part-time writer position:
- Has an understanding of their limits in terms of subject matter and knowledge base and can communicate when they need assistance
- Understands that it’s OK to ask for help – we are here to help guide your writing
- Has a good instinct for what’s logically sound and what may need further research, and has the ability to flag these obstacles in their writing
- Has a basic understanding of SEO best practices (but not required- we can train)
- Has some interviewing skills and a natural curiosity to learn more about a subject, as we work with a range of industries and business types
- Is disciplined with deadlines and is honest with themselves and with SCS Creative leadership about their capacity
Perks of working with SCS Creative
- Active collaboration: Work with a small team that wants you to grow and improve as a writer.
- Remote work: SCS Creative has always been a virtual team, before and after the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Flexible schedule: “9 to 5” is not strictly held here. We are flexible to work within your ideal hours, as long as there is some overlap with Eastern time business hours.
- Educational opportunities: Brush up your content and SEO skills through regular courses, webinars, and the like.
Submit a resume and at least three blogs you have written to [email protected], subject line “Staff writer application.” At least two of the samples you send should be from two separate publishers and/or prior clients to demonstrate flexibility.
Do not submit a cover letter. Do not submit job applications or inquiries via LinkedIn, Facebook, or the website contact form. No phone calls, please.
Please note that we cannot personally reply to every application we receive.
We are looking forward to reviewing your application.
Warmly, the staff at SCS Creative